Creating Competitive Advantage Through Analytics2-Day Program
Foster a culture of consistency and informed decision-making through the application of analytics.
- Equip managers and leaders with tools and information to strategically apply the data at their disposal
- Increase effectiveness and reduce risk through improved management decision-making
- Benefit from optimizing revenue management, dynamic pricing, and business modelling
Learn new approaches to analytics.
- Increase your department's effectiveness and performance by using information you have available to you in new ways
- Build frameworks to measure and learn from your business - so you continue doing what works and stop doing what doesn't
- Network with a group of experienced managers from both the private and public sectors
The main ingredient required for a business of any size to improve profitability with analytical decision-making is a willingness to learn new techniques and try new things. Inexpensive tools on desktop computers, including things as commonplace as Microsoft Excel, have made sophisticated analytics possible for anyone.
Learn how organizations are using data to make better decisions in a free white paper.
Download a PDF
The Program includes these four themes:
- Understanding when and how to use analytical approaches
- Knowing what tools and skills your organization needs
- Explore best practices with analytics in service businesses, manufacturing, financial services, and the public sector
Getting the Right Data and Getting the Data Right
- Working with information systems
- Surveys, sampling and data-mining
- Correcting data "censorship"
- Choosing levels of aggregation and assessing likelihoods
Tools and Techniques
- Get value from the data you collect
- Structuring decision processes in uncertain times
- Extracting critical information from complex data sources
- Visualizing relationships among key decision factors
Making it Happen
- Put an analytical approach into action while avoiding "analysis paralysis"
- Systems and technology recommendations and requirements
- When to use specialists or consultants, and when to do it yourself
- Resources and support as your projects unfold
Session leaders include senior professors from Smith School of Business and knowledgeable experts from industry. These outstanding teachers are constantly in touch with today's business world through real-world business experience, Board memberships and their own consulting practices.
Dr. Yuri Levin - Distinguished Professor of Operations Management and Director, Management Analytics Program, Smith School of Business
Yuri Levin is a Distinguished Professor of Operations Management and the inaugural Director of the Master of Management Analytics (MMA) programme at Smith School of Business. He was the recipient of 2013 and 2014 MBA and 2014 MMA Professor of the Year awards. He has developed innovative approaches and published widely in the general area of revenue management and dynamic pricing. He was a co-winner of 2013 INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Practice Prize for pricing and promotions analysis at Molson Coors Brewing Company. He served as Chair of INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing section. Yuri has consulted widely on consumer behavior modeling and optimization of pricing and developed corporate training programmes in strategic analytics, operations management and strategic pricing optimization.
Dr. Jeffrey McGill - Management Science and Operations Management, Smith School of Business
Jeff McGill is an experienced researcher, teacher, and practitioner in Management Science, and is a former Program Director of the Queen's Full-time MBA. Jeff's interests are in pricing and revenue management, particularly in the transportation industry, and in statistical methods for improving management decisions. He has over eight years of full-time industrial experience in product development and operations research, and has consulted widely for public and private organizations in the areas of optimal pricing and data analysis.