Banking courses launch 1914

Milestone 1914

Between the years 1908 and 1914, the Department of Political and Economic Science at Queen's consisted of two men, Dr. O. D. Skelton and Dr. W. W. Swanson. Skelton was a discerning man and had a keen sense for the needs of the business community. In his desire to provide better training in banking, Skelton launched the banking courses in 1914 - the first extension course in business to be offered in Canada and one of the first to be offered in North America. Queen's University soon became established as the educational agent of the Canadian Bankers' Association.